Wednesday, 3 February 2010

Half a Happy

As I mentioned in my previous post, Nala developped pyrometra. As I also said, if you know what that is, fine; if you don't, don't ask unless you have an unspayed bitch. In that case, it would be a good idea to look it up.

At any rate, the cure is to spay. So Nala was spayed and given a course of antibiotics: Cephalexlin, to be specific. When we got to the vet on Monday for her post-surgery check up, she had eaten very little, but had eaten some, so the vet sent us home, again.

Tuesday morning, she still hadn't eaten and the incision was seeping blood. We went back to the vet. Her white blood count was up from 34+ (double the normal limit) to 35+. We changed antibiotics, now she's on Amoxicillin.

Today, she ate breakfast! At first she didn't want it, but Nick took her out for a few minutes and when she came back, she ate.

As we were leaving for the hospital, I decided to walk her for another couple of minutes. When she heard her collar (chain), she woke up, came into the kitchen. . .
and danced! Afterwards she sulked because I would only let her walk about 25 meters and made her come home.

This evening, she wouldn't eat, again. So we just gave her her pills. Then she ate -- about a quarter of her meal. I guess she thinks eating means a dessert of pills and since she'd already had them, it was save to eat.

You know how people think Chows are stupid because you can't train them and they won't do anything you say? It has occurred to me that Chows must think people are pretty stupid because they can't train us to do things their way.

She seems reasonably lively. (Is it possible to sleep lively?)

As for me, great day at the hospital. Arrived a bit early for my 1:30 appointment and, for the first time ever, did not have to go to the waiting room, do not pass Go. Was given a room immediately. The nurses arrived 15 minutes later after their lunch break. I was alone, too. In fact, most of the rooms only had one patient or were empty. They must have recovered from the holiday disruption.

One of the nurses, I discovered, has 2 cats and a German Shepherd. She showed absolutely no interest when I said I fed raw. So I went to sleep.


  1. sounds like a great day. I love seeing Snoopy do the happy dance. I am sure Nala dancing was a great site too. I have a doggie that dances. Her name is Bunnie. She is like Nala in that mostly she sleeps, just occassionally she dances. Love ya!

  2. I'll have to say that I did a little happy dance of my own at the detail of who was walking Nala. This means the problem with the toe nails didn't get any worse, right?!


  3. It doesn't have to get any worse. :-) I can walk, but it hurts and I look like an Old Lady. It's better now. Yesterday I bought some oversized shoes and, with thick socks, it dulls some of the pain.